NV Communication in Relational Development
Task: In this paper you will apply your knowledge from Chapter 11 to understand the role of nonverbal communication in interpersonal relationships. Specifically, you will need to identify two relationships in your life (i.e., they can be current or from your past). The first relationship should be one that you consider to be a successfulrelationship and can include anyone ranging from family members, friends, significant others, etc. The second relationship that you should consider must be an unsuccessful relationship. To complete this assignment, you will need tointerviewthe person with who you have the successful relationship with (i.e., this can be done over the phone or face-to-face), getting as detailed of a response as possible. Obviously, your successful relationship should be someone you feel comfortable with and that you can easily contact so that you can complete this assignment. You do nothave to interview the person from your unsuccessful relationship and you should not. With your successful partner, you will need to ask the following questions (see below) and use their responses, as well as your own experiences to complete the paper. This paper is due Thursday, November 29th, 2018 at the start of class as hard-copy (YOU CAN TURN IT IN EARLY)
Goal:In this assignment you should demonstrate your knowledge of nonverbal communicationand the role that it has on relational development through critical self-reflection and analysis.
Questions for Partner (Interview Questions) – This person should have a “successful” relationship with you:
- What characteristics/qualities about me initiallyhelped our relational development?
- In general, how has our communication changed since the beginning of our relationship to where it is now? In what ways does communication help maintain our relationships?
- How does nonverbal communication explicitly contribute to the continuation of our relationship? (Note: You may have to prompt them here with examples such as gestures, proxemics, touching behaviors, facial expressions, eye contact, etc.)
Directions for Written Paper:
Once you have asked your partner these questions, record their answers so that you can use them for your paper. You will need to describe your experiences and reflections to answer the first three questions, but you will use your partner’s responses to help you answer the final two questions. Your paper should be in essay format and should have an introduction and conclusion. Your paper should be at least 3 full pages and it should address the questions below to form a coherent essay on NV communication and relational development:
- What characteristics or features distinguish your successful relationship from your unsuccessful relationship? Provide details about both to supplement your points.
- In what ways do you believe nonverbal communication contributed to thepositive development of your successful relationship? Why do you believe this to be the case?
- In what ways do you believe nonverbal communication contributed to the negative development of your unsuccessful relationship? Why do you believe this to be the case?
- What characteristics did your interview partner believe contributed to the development of your successful relationship? How did they perceive the role of communication?
- To what extent do you agree/disagree with your interview partner and the perception that s/he has about the role of nonverbal communicationin your successful relationship? Be sure to supplement your answer with examples from your own point of view as well.
Grading Sheet for Paper 2
(Staplethis to the back of your paper)
_____/ 5: Clear introduction to paper. The introduction should have a thesis statement that effectively lays out the corresponding sections of the paper and previews the main points.
_____/ 30: Each of the 5 questions above should be fullyanswered. The answers should be complete with details about the relationships and information that is integrated from the content.
_____/ 5: Clear conclusion. The conclusion should summarize the paper and revisit the thesis statement from the introduction. This should be review the paper and summarize what was learned from the experience.
Style and writing
_____/ 5: The paper was clearly written. The paper flowed from introduction to conclusion with a fluent and effective writing style. Spelling and punctuation mistakes were also avoided.
_____/ 5: The paper met the minimum page requirement (3 pages). Formatting is correct (12-point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, double-spaced, 0pt spacing between paragraphs) and the paper included the title page and grading sheet.