Sir Francis Bacon said, “Knowledge is power.” This is most definitely true when it comes to diseases and how to prevent and treat them. As a nurse, you are charged with teaching patients how to prevent infectious diseases and what to do if they become infected. A powerful tool in your arsenal is the Fact Sheet. Usually comprised of one page of easy-to-read content, these leaflets can be distributed easily and can effectively inform your practice.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Select one disease that is either emerging or re-emerging in the world today.
- Research the disease using both scholarly and non-scholarly resources.
- Determine your audience (patients, other nurses, schools, etc.) that you would want to share the Fact Sheet with.
- Select pieces of information that are appropriate for your audience.
By Day 7
Submit: A 1- to 2-page Fact Sheet.
- Indicate the audience on the Fact Sheet.
- Give a brief history of the disease.
- What are the implications of the spread of the disease?
- How does one detect and prevent the spread of this disease?
- How is this disease treated?
Your Fact Sheet should be visually stimulating, appropriate for your audience, and formatted with bullet points for easy reading.
Support your “facts” with references.
Note: Your Fact Sheet must be supported with at least three scholarly sources of evidence in the literature.