Step 2: Check back in on Friday morning. I will have matched you up with a partner. Once you see who your partner is, find his or her post, download the rough draft, and make comments on it. You can use the insert comment function on word, or you can simply write your comments in red.
Step 3: Once you are done commenting, go onto the next page (add a new page to the writer’s essay) and answer the following questions:
- Does the writer begin his essay in a catchy and interesting manner? Is it an anecdote? Could he or she do something to grab your attention more effectively?
- Does the write provide clear background into the issue? If you had not seen the videos or read the articles, would you understand what is happening with food waste in the States?
- Does the writer have a clear thesis that names the issue and at least 3 main points (causes, effects, or both)?
- Does the writer have a clear topic sentence for each body paragraph? Is each body paragraph focused EITHER on ONE specific cause or ONE specific effect?
- Does the writer provide a minimum of 2 examples (quotes or paraphrases) for each body paragraph? Are they specific?
- Is each example cited properly in MLA style parenthetical citation? (author’s or presenter’s last name and a page number)
- Is each example followed by a clear and sufficient explanation? Does the explanation connect to the topic? Explain the topic? Answer, “So What?”
- Does the author restate his or her thesis in the conclusion? Is there a final thought?
- Are there any major grammatical errors? Run-ons? Fragments? Capitalization?
- Is the page formatted in MLA style as discussed in class? Is there a Works Cited page in the end that lists the two sources used?
Step 4: By the following Tuesday at 11:59pm, hit “Reply.” Attach the draft with comments and the questions answered so that your partner can review them and make changes to his or her essay before the due date (next Tuesday).
If you need some help, please check out this sample of Essay 2. It is on a different topic but same requirements and similar sources: