This is the last of three exercises that you will be completing.
The organizing function occurs when management synchronizes and combines the resources of the organization (people, capital, and physical) to complete the goals set out in the planning stage. All three of these resources are critical for attaining results. This week you will look at how Biotech will align the human resources of the new Infant Formula Division, the culture that will guide the organizational behavior and how the products will align with the mission.
The Director of the Infant Formula Division has just tasked the Expert Food Consultants group with determining the best line of infant formula products to be in the initial launch a year from now, the best location for sustainable and organic ingredients, as well as the identification of the facility for production. For the potential product line; as group leader you have been asked to identify potential products, the percentage of net profit of the products based on the industry average and to discuss the success of other infant formula companies that provide sustainable and organic products. In addition, it is necessary to identify the best location to source the organic material for ingredients and to identify where current infant formula companies are sourcing the materials.
For this exercise, you will act as the group lead from Expert Foods Consultants, assigned to Biotech’s. You will put together a document that contains answers to the following research items. The document is a Word document or Rich Text Format (RTF) document that provides the answers to the following elements that thoroughly answers the questions and is supported using the course material.
Due Date: Week 5 – Saturday 11:59pm
Elements to Address
You will research and answer the following:
- Discuss what products enhancements need to be considered (i.e. grass feed cow milk, non-GMO, sensitive, nutrient-enriched, etc.) would be best for the initial launch based on market analysis;
- Key factors that would contribute to Biotech’s success in the Infant Formula Industry. This will come from the company profile, the case scenario and research;
- Success of other infant formula companies that provide sustainable and organic products.
Once a potential product line has been identified, you will:
- Identify the best location to source the organic materials for your ingredients. Research and identify where current infant formula companies are sourcing the materials and provide explanation as to why this location would be the best source for the ingredients. Be sure to cite the sources and use the course material in explaining why the location is the best for sourcing the ingredients.
Based on the location identified in week 2 (Ohio, United States or China), provide a breakdown of the cultural considerations the new director will need to take into account when relocating and bringing on a staff made up of local nationals (if overseas) or from the local community if in Ohio (remember their headquarters is not in Ohio).
- Identify the cultural considerations by relocating overseas or to Ohio;
- Explain whether the director should consider sourcing leaders from other divisions and taking them to the new location or focus on hiring local personnel as line managers, shift supervisors, and senior leaders;
- Based on best practices and analysis of current infant formula companies, explain how would the director best structure the team. Indicate how senior leadership will be divided (i.e. Assistant Division Director (ADD) of Operations, ADD Finance, ADD Marketing, ADD Sales, etc.) as well as the structure below them. Consider how Operations is divided. There will be procurement of materials; manufacturing, distribution, etc. Finance will have to consider the different accounting processes such as Accounts Receivable, Accounts payable, as well as other processes. Marketing will focus on U.S. based marketing and global marketing and sales will need the same type of considerations. Do not merely use these exact examples, but use them as a starting point and guide for your research.
How to Set Up the Document
Create a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) document, which requires double spacing. Use Arial, 12-point font. You will cite within the document and provide a reference list on a separate page.
Provide a title page and a reference list on a separate page.
**Do not copy the question and present in a question/answer format.
Submit the document in the Assignment Folder (The assignment submitted to the Assignment Folder will be considered the student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission. No exceptions will be considered by the instructor).
Completing the Document
In order to complete this document, you will want to first read the module, Learn How to Support What You Write, as this assignment requires you to use the course readings and research to support what you write. Also,
- Read the grading rubric for the project. Use the grading rubric while completing the project to ensure all requirements are met that will lead to the highest possible grade.
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so do not use them.
- Paraphrase and do not use direct quotation marks. Paraphrase means you do not use more than four consecutive words from a source document. Instead put a passage from a source document into your own words and attribute the passage to the source document. Not using direct quotation marks means that there should be no passages with quotation marks and instead the source material is paraphrased as stated above. Note that a reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. You may not use more than four consecutive words from a source document, as doing so would require direct quotation marks. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
- You are expected to use the case scenarios and weekly course material to develop the analysis and support the reasoning. There should be a robust use of the course material along with thorough analysis of potential location information. Material used from a source document must be cited and referenced. A reference within a reference list cannot exist without an associated in-text citation and vice versa. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
- Use in-text citations and provide a reference list that contains the reference associated with each in-text citation.
- You may not use books in completing this exercise unless provided in the classroom.
- Provide the page or paragraph number in every in-text citation presented. If the eBook does not have pages, provide the chapter title and topic heading.