Why are these songs called “Motown?” Where does this word come from and what does it mean? When did it start? Is one person most responsible for Motown? What historical importance does Motown music have? Is there anything that Motown artists were trying to accomplish? Is there anything they had to learn to do to accomplish that? Is there something about these songs that makes them sound similar?
Part 2 – Choose to Report on 3 of These 6 Songs
Listen to each of these recordings on YouTube and choose only 3 to write about. Answer the following questions for each of them –
- You Can’t Hurry Love, The Supremes The Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love (Stereo)
- My Girl, The Temptations My Girl The Temptations
- I Heard It through The Grapevine, Marvin Gaye Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch), The Four Tops The Four Tops – I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Stevie Wonder Stevie Wonder – Signed, Sealed,
Delivered I’m Yours
- Dancing in The Street, Martha and the Vandellas Martha and the Vandellas – Dancing in the Street (1964)
- Who is performing? List the performers
- Describe the tempo and dynamics
- Describe the style of music, especially of the singing
- What form is this song – strophic, song form, blues or do-wop?
- What is the basic story each song tells?
- Why does this make a good Motown song?
- Include the song lyrics somewhere in your paper. Use single spacing, size 10 font.
- Is there any evidence each song accomplished Motown’s goal?
Part 4 – References (2 points)
List every source (website) you read to help you with this paper. Include
- Sources you read to help you understand Motown
- Sources you read to help you gather and understand the lyrics of this song
- Sources you read to help you understand the music
- List every YouTube or other recording you listen to and watch.
Part 5 – Writing Quality (1 points)
- Always put the title of a song, article or book in italics or bold font
- Break your paper into logical sections (Part 1, 2, 3 and 4) and then into paragraphs
- For the body of your paper use 12-point font, double spaced
- Print lyrics in 10-point font single spaced. Try to separate the lyrics of each song into verses.